Top 3 Best Small Octave Pedals On The Market (September 2020)
In order to find the best small octave pedals on the market we first need to understand the octave effect. Since the era of rock and roll, guitarists have tried to magnify their sound for the biggest effect. Octave pedals give guitarists and bassists a chance to push up that ‘sound scale’ a few more notches.
Working With The Octave Effect Pedal
Octave pedals work best with strong, clean tones. This is the ideal point from which they should pitch shift, whether it’s up or down. The best small octave pedals perform well at the front of a pedal chain. The closer they are to the guitar the more accurate their note tracking capabilities will be.
What Type Of Octave Pedals Are The Best?
There are several types of octave effects to choose from, pure octave pedals, bass octave pedals, sub octave pedals and octave up expression pedal models with true bypass are some popular types. Monophonic octave pedals are often used by bass guitar players. Octave pedals generally increase or decrease your tones octave by one or two octaves.
Polyphonic Octave Pedal
A polyphonic octave pedal is unique in that it is capable of tracking guitar chords as well as single notes. The algorithms used in these modern octave pedals have almost eliminated the latency older analog pedals can suffer from.
Monophonic Octave Pedal
Monophonic octave pedals are a fan favourite with bassists. This is because they are perfect for recreating that ‘phat’ tone produced by synth basses.
Why Choose An Octave Pedal?
From guitar to bass pedal models, the best small octave pedals exist to do a very specific job. In order for an octave pedal to reach its true potential the guitarist has to understand that many other aspects have to be spot on.
Octave pedals aren’t the most popular modulation pedal on the market for sure. But they do provide the ability to manipulate your signal subtly or into something entirely different.
Although by no means essential, an octave pedal certainly provides a fun and interesting way to change your sound, increase your musical range and try new things.
Enjoy our collection of the best small octave pedals on the market. Hopefully you’ll find the one that’s right for you.
Electro-Harmonix Nano POG Polyphonic Octave Generator Pedal
- ✔ Features Sub Octave, Octave Up & Dry Control Knobs
- ✔ True Bypass Switching
- ✔ Separate Dry & Effect Output For Maximum Versatility
- ✔ Silent Foot Switching
- Small sized housing
- Organ like sound
- Control: Sub Octave, Octave Up, Dry
- Connectors: Input, Dry Out, Effect Out, DC In
- A quiet foot switch
- Strong metal housing
- Dimensions (WxDxH): 65 x 110 x 57 mm
- Incl. Power supply
The smallest member of the polyphonic POG clan provides impeccable tracking and sound. Separate level controls for dry, sub octave and octave up plus an extra Dry out and silent footswitching provide the perfect formula for this compact jewel.
- SUB OCTAVE Knob – Controls the output volume of the SUB OCTAVE signal. The SUB OCTAVE signal is one octave below the original input signal, or half the frequency. As this knob is rotated clockwise, the volume of the SUB OCTAVE signal increases.
- OCTAVE UP Knob – Controls the output volume of the OCTAVE UP signal. The OCTAVE UP signal is one octave above the original input signal, or twice the frequency. The volume of the OCTAVE UP signal increases as this knob is rotated clockwise.
- DRY Knob – Controls the output volume of the DRY signal at the EFFECT OUT jack. The DRY signal is the signal present at the INPUT jack. As this knob is turned clockwise, the volume of the DRY signal at the EFFECT OUT Jack increases.
We’re very very impressed by just how much punch Electro-Harmonixs have been able to give this small sized ‘nano’ pedal. It’s the smallest member of the POG clan and comes with a new algorithm for tracking and sound. It has the same fantastic benefits as the EHX Micro POG octave pedal but in an even smaller casing. If room on your pedalboard is short then we highly recommend you switch out your current octave pedal for this small sized powerhouse of a pedal.
TC Electronic Sub 'N' Up Mini Octaver Octave Pedal
- ✔ Features Dry, Sub & Up Control Knobs
- ✔ True Bypass Switching
- ✔ Durable Metal Chassis
- ✔ Small Pedal - Easy To Fit On Your Pedalboard
- Hugely popular octave pedal in mini version offers flawless polyphonic tracking and built-in TonePrint technology
- Advanced polyphonic octave engine gives you lightning-fast note tracking and impeccable octave tones
- Cool monophonic octaver replicates that classic old-school octave pedal flavor
- Extra-small enclosure easily fits on any pedal board
- Simple, easy-to-use controls let you focus on playing
- High-quality components to give you flawless octave tones in a pedal format
- TonePrint-enabled to let you beam cool signature tones into your pedal with the free TonePrint App
- Dedicated bass TonePrints swap upper octave for a P.A.-rattling, Richter-scale-breaking 2 octaves down
- Design your own customized effects from scratch with free TonePrint Editor for PC, Mac and iPad
SUB ’N’ UP MINI OCTAVER features the same state-of-the-art octave-engine found in it’s raved-about bigger brother for awesome octave sounds, including your choice of the amazing SUB ’N’ UP TonePrint octave tones. Add to this pitch perfect accuracy, flawless polyphonic tracking, an authentic old-school monophonic algorithm – and you’ve got the impossibly small, penultimate octaver for your crowded pedal board.
Don’t let its diminutive size fool you. SUB ’N’ UP MINI OCTAVER’s advanced polyphonic pitch technology gives you lightning-fast note tracking and glitch-free octaving even when playing complex chords. And with TC’s proprietary TonePrint technology, SUB ’N’ UP MINI OCTAVER is capable of delivering everything from shimmery octave-up tones for swells, a sweet 12-string ring or earthquake-inducing subsonic riffs.
And speaking of submerging yourself in the Subsonic Sea… Even though the beloved two-octaves down knob appears to be missing from SUB ’N’ UP MINI OCTAVER, bass players need not panic. If creating the subsonic mayhem that can only be measured on the Richter Scale is what you live by, we’ve designed loads of bass-dedicated TonePrints that substitute the octave up knob for the bass-approved Sub2 control.
Sometimes nothing can beat the quirky imperfections of vintage gear. That’s why we designed a monophonic octave algorithm that painstakingly recreates every idiosyncratic flaw of a vintage analog octaver. SUB ’N’ UP MINI OCTAVER is perfect for creating faux bass-lines with a guitar, or will you dare to plug in a bass – and level the whole house?
Download the free TonePrint app for Android and iPhone, choose the TonePrint you want to hear and beam it instantly from your phone through your guitar’s pickup into your TonePrint pedal. No cables needed!
We really like this pedal. The TC Electronic Sub ‘N’ Up Mini Octaver allows an electric guitar to effectively and accurately replicate a bass guitar. The pedal tracks notes very well and does not get lost when whole chords are played either. Make sure you’re careful with the volume level settings. Caution need to be exercised when using this pedal or you could quite easily blow your speakers if you’re not careful. Another easy recommendation from us.
Donner Digital Harmonic Square Octave Pedal
- ✔ True Bypass Switching
- ✔ Features Wet, Dry & Level Controls Knobs
- ✔ Octave Mode Toggle - Sharp/Detune/Flat Options
- ✔ Durable Mini Sized Aluminum Pedal Chassis
- Power Supply：DC 9V(Negative in the center).
- Toggle switch: Select between different modes.
- WET Knob：Control the harmonic signal level.
- DRY Knob：Control the dry signal level.
- Modes Knob：For selecting the types of effects.
- Input & Output Jack：1/4’’ mono audio jack.
- LED Light：LED indicator shows the working state.
- Full metal shell：Aluminum-alloy classic, stable and strong.
- True Bypass：True bypass for zero tone coloration.
This is a wonderful pedal. Digital circuit design, and variety of octave effect adds musical color to you tone. 7 different modes: ±2 semitones, ±3 semitones, ±4 semitones, ±5 semitones, ±7 semitones, ±12 semitones, ±24 semitones, LED indicator shows the working state. There are two function knobs, namely WET and DRY. 3 way toggle switch select between different modes. 7-Mode octave effects you can choose. Control two function knobs and choose different model you want to made you own music tone. Enjoy your own fun and colorful life.
As you can see, Harmonic Square have a novel design logo, classic mini size, convenient and durable. True bypass switch lets your instrument’s signal pass through a non-electronic bypass line when the effect is disengaged, feeding your amp with direct, unaltered signal from your instrument
The pedal can change the pitch of a note by 2, 3, 4, 5, 7, 12 or 24 half-steps up or down. It can also detune by increments of partial steps. Separate pots allow blending of the processed (wet) and unprocessed (dry) signals. The build quality is excellent, made of metal with a nice finish. The different sounds the pedal is capable of achieving are hugely impressive. It really does sound like an organ at times.
Overall it’s another solid and great value pedal from Donner. Check it out for yourself!