Boss VE-500 Vocal Performer Buyers Review (August 2020)
Boss VE-500 Vocal Performer
- ✔ 5 Year Warranty
- ✔ Boss have a history of high quality products
- ✔ Editor software is on both Mac and PC
- ✖ Small screen size
For those who aren’t particularly familiar with the brand Boss, they’re one of the leading manufacturers of effects pedal in the world, and are a subsidiary of the Roland Corporation. Founded in 1973, having over 46 years of experience in building industry leading effects pedals for bass, guitar & vox. This has resulted in the quality of their products consistently being high quality.
We’ve organized this best vocal autotune pedals review, in such a way as to not only gives the opportunity to clearly display its features, but the article also includes pros and cons to give you a quick and easy to digest overview of the product.
- All-in-one Vocal Effects Unit, with multiple vocal effects to choose from
- Vocal Harmony, Pitch Correction, Vocoder, Looper, Compressor, De-Esser, EQ, Reverb, Delay, Filtering, etc
- Guitar Input for optional harmony, pitch and vocoder control
- Also includes Thru output for sending unprocessed guitar signal to guitar pedal/amps
- MIDI input and USB-Midi for optionally guiding harmony, pitch correction from MIDI keyboard or DAW backing tracks
- XLR Microphone input with phantom power & adjustable sensitivity
- Boss DSP Engine for processing up to 9 effects simultaneously
- 99 user programmable preset patches
- Built to last with durable, strong die-cast metal casing
- Stereo XLR Outputs
- USB connection for editor/pedal programming and firmware updates
- Three assignable footswitches for real-time performance control
- Supports 2 external footswitches or an expression pedal
- Three assignable knobs for quick access to essential parameters (great whilst performing)
- Editor software (suitable for Mac/PC) for sound editing and patch management via USB
- 5-Year Warranty on Boss Pedals*
Each of the UI’s menus has micro-controls, where you can adjust every aspect of an effect, for example in the screenshot, you can see there are multiple types of Vocoder effects that can be chosen, including Standard, Vintage & Talk Box, and then levels, octaves, tones, attack, release, sensitivity settings can then be further modified to help define your sound.
Not only do you have this functionality, but you also have the ability to add up to 99 user programmable patches.
As for the physical unit, there are three assignable footswitches, for real-time performance control, including individual effects enabling/disabling, patch selection, looper & harmony functions and a whole lot more. Not to mention, the unit can support an expression pedal or two external footswitches, so it’s extremely adaptable.
From left to right, it has an Instrument Input & Thru, for those who want to plug their guitar in and control harmony and vocoder effects with their guitar (similar to a MIDI controller), with the Thru output allowing the unaffected guitar signal to be passed to your other effects pedals or amp.
It also includes a Microphone input, which has optional phantom power and sensitivity controls, great for condenser microphones which are more demanding.
Additionally, the VE-500 has stereo (L & R) output, a MIDI input, USB input (For editor programming and firmware updates) and a DC power input.
With the fact that it provides, harmony, reverb, pitch correction, delay, compression, EQ and even more, all in a strong, well build unit. It’s definitely an option you have to consider.
One of the aspects that we particularly like about the unit, is the editor, where you can go about making subtle or drastic configuration changes to your VE-500’s presets, and with room for a massive 99 custom presets, you’ll be able to store all your favourite combinations with ease.
Combining this with the 3 user-assignable footswitches, and 3 assignable toggle knobs, it’s certainly versatile.
However, the one downside to this unit has a small sized screen, which makes sound editing on the device, a rather difficult process. However this can all be done through the supplied PC/Mac editing software.
Overall, it provides incredible value for money, and with any of Boss’s Pedals, you get the company standard 5-year warranty.