Top 8 Best Tuner Pedals For Guitar (November 2020)
The only thing worse than hearing someone play out of time, is someone playing out of tune. It’s a no brainer that you get yourself a high quality electric guitar tuner.
Regardless of what music you play, the guitar you use or your level of expertize. One thing we all have in common is the need to be in tune. Digital pedal tuners are an essential tool that will help keep you in tune.
The first pedal on your board should be a tuner pedal for guitar. It’s all well and good having these great effects but it goes without saying. If you’re out of tune, no effect sounds good. It might not be the most prolific pedal on the planet but if you’re not in tune, your as good as lost.
What Is A Guitar Tuner Pedal?
The fact of the matter is that your guitar doesn’t stay in tune forever. A guitar tuner is a useful tool that allows you to make sure you’re sounding your best at any time.
Different Types Of Tuner Pedals For Guitar
Some types of tuning pedals allow you to tune all your strings at once. These polyphonic tuning pedals are great time savers. Some other models use strobe technology which is one of the best most accurate type of tuning methods on the planet.
A tuner that is able to sense vibrations from your guitar is really useful because it allows you to tune your electric guitar in a noisy environment. This is particularly useful when you’re playing in a live scenario. It’s not always possible to tune in a quiet location.
A popular type of tuning guitar pedal is the chromatic tuner. These pedals are really easy to use and have a bright display for easy use in a dark environment.
The best guitar tuners are perfect for standard tunings however they are also suitable for alternative guitar tunings such as drop D.
Guitar tuning pedals are the best option when it comes to tuning up and electric guitar between songs on a live stage. Many different models come with backlit displays, led lights and light up control panels to make it easy to use in a low light situation. Visibility is crucial to obtain highly accurate tuning.
The best guitar tuner pedal is a digital tuner. There are many many options out there and so we’ve tried to find you the best tuning pedals for guitar on the market. Ready for you to make a decision and tune your guitar.
Peterson StroboStomp HD Tuner Pedal
- ✔ Chromatic Display
- ✔ Full Color Screen For Easy Viewing
- ✔ Drop Tuning & Capo Settings
- ✔ High Definition Backlit Screen
- True Strobe 0.1 Cent Accuracy – Accurate to 1/1000th of a Semitone or 1/1000th of a Fret
- High-Definition Color Backlit Display – Can Display the Smallest Pitch Deviations
- Chromatic Performance – Automatically Displays Note and Deviation from Center Pitch
- Auto Transposition – Drop Tuning and Capo Settings
Peterson Strobe Tuners is a Chicago-based, family-owned company that has been manufacturing precision tuning equipment since 1948. Most commonly recognized for their mechanical strobe tuning products, Peterson also offers a full line of hardware, software, and mobile tuning solutions using their patented Virtual Strobe Technology as well as metronome products with their BodyBeat line. Peterson is dedicated to developing professional grade tuning equipment by excellence through innovation.
The StroboStomp HD boasts a high-definition, LCD screen that incorporates a variable color LED backlight. The user-selectable colors can be used to personalize the tuner or to increase display viewing quality in different levels of ambient lighting depending on the usage environment. The vibrant screen colors can also be assigned to stock or user presets to significantly reduce menu navigation time and increase on-stage tuning confidence at the gig.
Does your love for effect-driven musical chaos require a massive pedal board? Need that XL cable for jumping off the stack during your face melting solo? No problem! The StroboStomp HD features a PURE buffer mode to preserve the sonic clarity of your axe while enabling you to run a collection of pedals and long cable lengths without compromise.
We’ve redesigned and greatly improved the way incoming signal was handled in true-bypass mode to deliver a perfectly silent experience when muting your signal. A dual relay circuit effectively bleeds out any incoming signal before powering the tuner down resulting in a silent transition without affecting tone quality.
The multi-color display on the StroboStomp HD is easy to see – even in direct sunlight! The strobe image and note name appear monochromatic in direct sunlight making it very easy to view what is going on with your tuning when playing outdoors. Tune confidently with the largest strobe and note name pattern ever designed into a pedal tuner.
This compact pedal strobe tuner with pop-less true bypass and buffered output modes. Variable color, LED backlight for maximum visibility in any setting and total personalized control. We think it’s a hugely capable tuning pedal, suitable for guitars, basses and more. Take a look.
Korg Pitchblack Custom Tuner Pedal
- ✔ True Bypass Prevents Any Colouration Or Loss In Sound Quality
- ✔ Pedal Can Power Other Pedals
- ✔ 3 Times Longer Battery Life Than Previous Model
- ✔ Ultra Accurate Tuning Capability
- 3D visual meter creates a revolutionary visual effect
- Ultra-high tuning accuracy of +/- 0.1 cents
- Four types of meter display modes
- True bypass prevents any coloration or loss in the sound
- DC out allows parallel connection for powering other effect pedals
- Three times longer battery life (than previous models)
- Scale: 12 note equal temperament
- Detection Range: E0 (20.60 Hz) – C8 (4186 Hz)
- Calibration Range: 436 – 445 Hz (1 Hz steps)
- Detection Accuracy: within +/- 0.1 cent
- Input Impedance: 1 MΩ (when tuner is on)
- Connectors: Input (mono 1/4″ jack), Bypass (mono 1/4″ jack), DC In (9V), DC Out (9V)
- Power Supply: 9V battery or 9V AC adaptor
- Battery Life: approximately 15 hours (A4 continuous input, tuner on, display mode: Regular A, using a 9 volt zinc-carbon battery)
- Consumption Current: Maximum 40mA
- Dimensions (W x D x H): 68 x 113 x 45 mm/ 2.68″ x 4.45″ x 1.77″ (including feet)
- Weight: 286g / 0.63 lbs (including battery)
- Included Items: one zinc-carbon battery for verifying operation
- Accessories: AC adaptor (9V)
Since its debut in 2008, the KORG Pitchblack pedal tuner has earned a reputation as a trusted and indispensable part of every pedal board, thanks to its high sensitivity, great visibility, and sturdy construction. Now, to continue the legacy of the Pitchblack, we introduce the Pitchblack Custom.
The Pitchblack Custom features the first vertical 3D visual meter on a pedal tuner. Three-dimensional lights and versatile display modes deliver an unprecedented level of visibility. In addition to allowing ultra-high +/- 0.1 cent tuning precision, it features true bypass switching that prevents any coloration of your tone. Designed with the needs of professionals in mind, the Pitchblack Custom will provide years of trouble-free operation. The durable aluminum die cast body provides a DC output that allows parallel connection for powering other effects pedals. The Pitchblack Custom offers unbeatable visibility and accuracy for all guitarists and bassists and is the clear choice for professionals.
The 3D visual meter exemplifies the Custom Shop series. A large and easily visible note name indication and the distinct movement of brightly illuminated LEDs make the pitch difference and change instantly recognizable. This new 3D visual meter makes it simple to tune with a precision of ±0.1 cent.
Designed with the professional user in mind, KORG’s Pitchblack Custom offers extremely accurate tuning with a detection range of +/- 0.1 cents, a level of precision that is uncommon of pedal tuners. With the Pitchblack Custom, players of all styles can now enjoy the same ultra-high precision offered in KORG’s flagship tuner, the Pitchblack Pro.
The true bypass design allows the input sound to be output with absolutely no change (when the tuner is off). In other words, the tuner circuit does not change, degrade, or color your sound in any way. Since the input sound is completely muted when the tuner is on, this unit is ideal for use on stage.
If a separately sold AC adaptor is used, the DC OUT jack can supply power to another effect unit. Since a dedicated power supply circuit is provided for DC OUT, it can provide stable and noiseless 9V 200 mA power.
TC Electronic PolyTune 3 Tuner Pedal
- ✔ 3rd Generation Of The PolyTune Tuning Pedal
- ✔ Very Precise Tuning Capability
- ✔ Built In Buffer Circuitry Preserves Your Tone
- ✔ Easy To See LED Screen
- Ultra-compact polyphonic tuner gives you fast, accurate tuning and a high-quality tone tool in a single unit
- Quickly get in tune with polyphonic, chromatic and strobe tuning modes
- Polyphonic tuning lets you tune all your strings at once
- Lightning-fast chromatic tuner offers 0.5 cent accuracy
- Ultra-precise strobe tuner gives you ±0.02 cent accuracy for ultimate tuning performance
- Switchable true bypass / buffer modes let you optimize signal integrity for any setup
- ‘Always on’ tuning mode keeps tuner on and detecting even when not muted
- Super-bright 109-LED display and an ambient light detector provide an instant clear readout in all viewing conditions
- Built-in all-analog BONAFIDE BUFFER circuitry preserves your tone through long cable runs and convoluted pedal boards
- Exceptional buffer keeps your tone transparent and crisp with a 1 MΩ input,100 Ω output and extremely high >112 dB signal to noise ratio
- Automatically switches between polyphonic and monophonic tuning modes based on how many strings you play
The original POLYTUNE revolutionized the way musicians tune their instruments. So how do you make one of the best-selling polyphonic tuner even better? You take it to the next level by: providing multiple tuning modes, including polyphonic, chromatic, strobe and a variety of altered tunings; adding an onboard BONAFIDE BUFFER to preserve your tone over long cable runs and pedal board signal paths; and upgrading the LED display for even higher tuning accuracy.
Whether you’re a mega-super rock star, a seasoned pro or a passionate bedroom shredder, PolyTune 3 gets you in tune quickly and accurately. Depending on your needs, you can choose polyphonic for tuning all strings at the same time for your live gig, chromatic for more precision during a songwriting session, and strobe for the ultimate in precision when you’re laying down tracks.
How do you want to tune? PolyTune 3 lets you switch between true bypass and buffer modes, the latter giving you an ‘always on’ option that keeps the tuner in full operation – even when your signal is not muted. Tuning made simple and more efficient than ever.
Whether you’re performing on a truck bed in full sunlight, a dimly-lit tavern, or a stage with a massive light show, PolyTune 3’s super-bright 109-LED display features an ambient light detector that automatically adjusts the intensity to provide the perfect readout.
PolyTune 3 provides high-precision tuning with just a quick strum, and the BONAFIDE BUFFER keeps you signal transparent and strong – no matter how many stomps you use, or how long your cable runs. Plus, you’ll have the most-versatile polyphonic tuner on the market right at your toes.
King of the tuning pedals. The PolyTune 3 sets the bar high and keeps the price low. That’s why we’ve featured it on our list today. Check it out!
BOSS TU-3 Chromatic Tuner Pedal
- ✔ High-Brightness Mode for Outdoor Visibility
- ✔ Perfect For Guitar and Bass Alike
- ✔ Stompbox Styled Tuner Pedal
- ✔ Supports 7 String Guitars & 6 String Basses
- The “new standard” tuner no musician should be without!
- 21-segment LED meter with brightness control
- High-Brightness mode enhances meter visibility outdoors
- Accurate to +/- one cent
- Supplies power for up to seven BOSS compact effect pedals
The world’s top-selling stage tuner, the BOSS TU-2, evolves and improves with the debut of the new TU-3. Housed in a tank-tough BOSS stompbox body, the TU-3 features a smooth 21-segment LED meter with a High-Brightness mode that cuts through the harshest outdoor glare. Choose between Chromatic or Guitar/Bass tuning modes, and enjoy visual pinpoint tuning verification with the Accu-Pitch Sign function.
Use the Chromatic and Guitar/Bass mode to tune by string number, with support for 7-string guitars and 6-string basses. Flat tuning is supported with Guitar Flat mode, which allows for “drop” tunings up to six semitones below standard pitch.
When it comes to key features, one of the things we like most about this pedal is its LED screen, which offers a hi-brightness mode. Another convenient thing about this pedal is that it also offers power supply to other compact units on the pedalboard.
When it comes to tuning, there is a variety of modes. There is a Guitar/Bass mode that allows you to tune by a string number. There is also Flat Mode which is designed for drop tunings. Everything is muted once the pedal is turned on, while a true bypass means your perfect tone will remain untouched.
Anyone who is looking for great accuracy and unparalleled reliability. It is fast and extremely durable, while a variety of different modes helps this pedal to meet everyone’s demands. At a price that won’t break the bank.
D'Addario Chromatic Tuner Pedal
- ✔ True Bypass Sends Out A Clear Transparent Tone
- ✔ Small, Lightweight, Slim Design
- ✔ Full Color Vertical Display
- ✔ Fast Responce 32-Bit Processor
- 32-Bit processor for fast response
- True-Bypass wiring
- Full-color vertical display
- Slim, lightweight design
- Powered by 9V battery (included) or 9V adapter
- Dimensions (W H D): 2.8 x 2.3 x 5.8″ / 71.1 x 58.4 x 147.3 mm
- Weight: 12.5 oz / 354.4 g
The D’Addario Chromatic Pedal Tuner is the perfect combination of innovation, simplicity, and style. Housed in a rugged aluminum enclosure, the tuner features fast note detection, superb accuracy, wide calibration range, and true bypass wiring with an easily accessible foot switch. The tuner’s full-color vertical display allows for quick intuitive tuning at home, in the studio, or onstage.
It features a sleek, reduce-sized, and light-weight design to preserve valuable space on a player’s pedal board and a vertical-sweeping LED pitch display for a clearer, more intuitive read. Its 32-bit chip has 4x the processing power of a standard headstock tuner for a fast and accurate readout, and it makes the display visually smoother for precise tuning. Additionally, the chromatic pedal tuner features True-Bypass, so when the pedal tuner is activated, it automatically cuts its output signal to eliminate noise during tuning and instrument changes.
As slimline guitar tuning pedals come, this pedal is very impressive. A solid built quality and reasonable price makes this a tuning pedal to recommend.
Korg Pitchblack Advanced Tuner Pedal
- ✔ Long Battery Life - Up To 60 Hours
- ✔ Power Other Pedals With Dc Out
- ✔ High Tuning Accuracy
- ✔ Beautifully Designed Tuner With Easy To See Display
- Cutting-edge design, with a superbly visible display
- Ultra-high tuning accuracy of +/- 0.1 cents
- Four meter display modes
- True bypass has absolutely no effect on the sound
- DC out allows parallel connection for powering other pedals
- Completely eliminates noise caused by using a power supply
- Achieves up to 60 hours of battery life
As the clear standard in pedal tuners for the guitarist or bassist, the Pitchblack is loved by professionals and amateurs around the world. The Pitchblack Advance is the next-generation model, a further evolution that features an advanced cutting-edge form and many of the functions and technologies developed for previous models of the Pitchblack series. Embracing both the traditional and the revolutionary, it represents the perfect summation of pedal tuners.
Featuring a slanted design that hints at a new age, the Pitchblack Advance retains the toughness that is characteristic of the series, in spite of becoming even lighter in weight. The display features high-brightness color LEDs, nearly doubling the size of the note name display and providing amazing visibility. Whether you’re on a dimly lit stage or outdoors in bright sunlight, this display will always be easy to read.
Choose from four meter display modes to suit your playing style. In addition to the standard “Regular mode,” you can use “Strobe mode” or “Half-strobe mode” in which the direction and speed of meter movement indicate the pitch change for easy visualization of even minute differences, as well as “Mirror mode” in which two LEDs move from left and right to coincide in the center as you tune.
What a beautiful pedal. The exact reaction by our team here. It looks like something out of a sci-fi movie or maybe a little like “The Bat” from ‘The Dark Knight’. Either way it’s a nice looking pedal that even Batman would have on his pedal board.
Snark SN-10S Tuner Pedal
- ✔ Strong, Sturdy Metal Case
- ✔ True Bypass Feature
- ✔ Chromatic Tuner
- ✔ Large Bright Display
- Huge EZ-read display
- Blazingly fast
- True bypass
- Pitch calibration
- Die-cast metal case
- Fully chromatic
Already a massive hit with musicians and dealers with their highly popular range of clip-on tuners and metronomes, US Company SNARK introduce their first pedal tuner, the SN10.
The Snark SN10 has a host of features demanded by players worldwide, for perfect tuning in live and studio situations. With its trademark big and bright display, and fast and smooth pitch tracking, the SN10 also has true bypass switching, and is fully chromatic with a handy pitch calibration feature (415-466Hz).
Other handy features include a mute output jack socket (a must-have for the gigging musician) and 9V power input/output sockets that can power another pedal from a standard 9V supply (not included), all housed in a tough, road-proof die-cast unit, with easy battery access. A flat baseplate ensures easy attachment to pedalboards, but the SN10 also comes with a set of handy stick-on feet.
The Snark SN-10S Stage and Studio Tuner is designed to get your guitar or bass in tune fast when you need it. The true bypass allows you to have it in your pedal chain without interrupting your signal flow. The bright display lets you see each note clearly even on stage at dark gigs.
If you’re looking for something a little different. This chrome, straight forward tuning pedal could be exactly what you’re looking for.
Behringer TU300 Chromatic Tuner Pedal
- ✔ High Quality Components Make This Tuner Reliably Accurate
- ✔ Precise 7 Segment LED & 11 Point Stream Meter
- ✔ Mute/Bypass Feature For Silent Tuning
- ✔ Adjustable Reference Tone - 438Hz to 447Hz
- Gives you 7 different tuning modes including Regular, Flat, Double Flat and Chromatic mode
- This BEHRINGER product has been designed to compete head-to-head with leading products on the market*
- Precise 7-segment LED and 11-point Stream Meter guarantee accurate tuning
- Reference tone adjustable from 438 Hz to 447 Hz
- Mute/bypass function for silent tuning
- Blue status LED for effect on/off and battery check
- Runs on 9 V battery or the BEHRINGER PSU-SB DC power supply (not included)
- First-class electronic On/Off switch for highest signal integrity in bypass mode
- High-quality components and exceptionally rugged construction ensure long life
- Conceived and designed by BEHRINGER Germany
No matter what kind of tuning you prefer, the Behringer Chromatic Tuner TU300 can accommodate you! That’s because this crucial stompbox gives you three guitar modes (regular, flat, double flat), three bass modes (regular, flat, double flat) and a chromatic setting. Whether you stay in standard tuning, detune, or tune to an exotic tuning of your own design, the TU300 will get you there quickly and accurately.
To begin tuning, simply stomp the TU300’s footswitch. The Single-digit LED display shows which note it’s reading and the 11-point stream guarantees accurate tuning. TU300’s super-briht display panel makes it easy to tune even in the darkest club.
The main Out jack allows you to cut the signal to your amp while you tune, or you can send a constant signal from the Bypass output. The status LED tells you when the TU300 box is activated and the solid electronic on/off switch maintains incredible signal integrity in bypass mode.
This is definitely one of the most affordable ‘feature rich’ tuner pedals we’ve featured on this list. Many of the alternatives that offer similar features cost far more. Well worth taking a look.