IK Multimedia AXE I/O Buyers Guide Review (January 2021)
IK Multimedia AXE I/O
- ✔ 3 different preamp circuits to choose from
- ✔ Amp output for easy re-amping
- ✔ Seamless amplitude integration
- ✔ A professional 2 in/5 out audio interface and controller
IK Multimedia has one of the most well-regarded software guitar amp systems attainable in AmpliTube. They have decided to combine that software technology with a new premium audio interface packed full of features perfect for any guitarist. It’s called the AXE I/O — well, of course, it is!
- 2 in / 5 out 24-bit, 192 kHz audio interface with 2 mic preamps, 2 instrument inputs
- ACTIVE / PASSIVE pick-up selector matches your guitar’s pickups for ideal gain levels
- Z-Tone adjustable impedance control coaxes a wider range of tones from your instrument
- PURE and JFET instrument input channels keeps your sound totally clean or adds subtle saturation
- Low noise AMP OUT for easy re-amping without the need for additional direct boxes or splitters
- Register to receive a massive software bundle with AmpliTube 4 Deluxe, Ableton Live 10 Lite and 10 T-RackS mixing plug-ins
AXE I/O is a 2 input, 5 output audio interface in a ruggedized rack style box. On the input, there’s a “Z-Tone” impedance adapting circuit that matches up to your pickups. It is however, switchable between passive and active. The fully discrete input circuit has a choice of Pure or Class A JFET. These take you from transparent to tube-like at the throw of a switch. The unexpected 5th output is an “Amp Out” designed to go straight to a guitar amplifier. You can process your recordings through external gear rather than committing them to your project.
All the guitar amp and cabinet modeling are done in the included AmpliTube 4 Deluxe. With over 140 ultra-accurate models of guitar and bass amps, cabs, pedals, mics and more. You can dial in what you require via the front preset knob. On the back are two pedal inputs for expressive control that can be mapped directly to the software. They’ve even integrated a guitar tuner directly on the front panel.
And, like the Sono, it will do all the monitoring as well as the audio recordings. The AXE I/O also has a handy MIDI In and Out port for connecting keyboards or floorboard controllers.