JHS Haunting Mids Pedal Buyers Guide Review (March 2021)
JHS Haunting Mids Pedal
- ✔ Features Volume, Mids & Sweep Control Knobs
- ✔ Hi/Lo Toggle Switch
- ✔ Boost Or Cut Toggle Control
- ✔ True Bypass Switching
- Simple yet effective tool to boost/cut the perfect amount of midrange frequencies.
- Sweepable midrange frequency to find the perfect EQ to slice through any mix.
- Turn any amp or pedal into a totally different ghastly monster.
- Don’t forget the Volume Boost.
- Will boost +10dB with EQ flat
- Total Harmonic Distortion 0.007%
- Signal to noise ration 83dB
- +/- 15dB boost or cut
- Sweepable center frequency from 400Hz to 7.5kHz
- Switchable Q (LO-gentle broad, HI-peaking tight)
- This pedal requires standard 9V DC Negative power, consumes 13mA, and measures 2.6″x4.8″x1.6″
We here at JHS Pedals have a pedal that gives you the tone that has long eluded your white knuckled grasp: the Haunting Mids. The Haunting Mids is a frightfully effective Sweepable-Mids EQ Preamp that can turn any amp or pedal into a ghastly monster. With it’s ability to sweep mids and then boost or scoop them, you can find the tone that haunts your imagination. The controls on the Haunting Mids are Volume, Mids, Sweep, and a Lo/Hi toggle.
The Volume acts as a standard volume control to be able to set at unison or boost the signal. The Mids and Sweep controls work very closely together so you can find the perfect frequencies to boost or scoop mid frequencies. When the Mids knob is at 12 o’clock, no frequencies are boosted or scooped. Turning the Mids knob to the left of 12 o’clock will begin to scoop out midrange frequencies, while turning the Mids knob to the right of 12 o’clock will begin to boost midrange frequencies.
The Sweep knob controls the what frequencies will be affected. Sweep knob to the left will cause low-mids to be affected, while Sweep knob to the right will cause hi-mids to be affected. The Lo/Hi toggle is like a ‘Q’ function and controls how sharp the frequency peak is that you’re affecting with the Mids knob. ‘Lo’ is a softer and wider peak for slightly subtler affect as you tweak the Mids/Sweep knobs. ‘Hi’ is a sharper and steeper peak giving you a very pointed and defined effect as you tweak the Mids/Sweep knobs.
The JHS Haunting Mids midrange boost guitar effects pedal really brightens the tone, and gives humbuckers more clarity. With single coils it gives a great boost, it’s well built and high quality. The packaging and presentation are also great, as you get a large sticker, a JHS pin, and a Gravity pick. Overall a worthy pedal to consider if you’re looking for a midrange EQ boost pedal.