MOTU 828es 28×32 Thunderbolt USB 2.0 Audio Interface (August 2020)
MOTU 828es 28x32 Audio Interface
- ✔ Incredibly sound quality
- ✔ Rack mountable
- ✔ Expandable (up to 5 additional MOTU devices)
- ✔ Web-app control
The MOTU 828es has to be our favourite audio interface featured on the list. Why? Well, it offers so much functionality and in-turn, ease of use, that we can’t not love it.
Firstly, this is a rack-mountable interface that has both USB and Thunderbolt connectivity, which is quite rare to see.
It comes with 28-inputs and 32-outputs ranging from the mass of available XLR/TRS, Line, MIDI, ADAT and S/PDIF ports.
Due to the quality of its internal circuitry, and the ESS Sabre32 Ultra DAC Technology, it can provide an impressive 1.6ms of round-trip latency, which is less than any other interface featured on this list.
And whilst we’re on the topic of the ESS Sabre32 Dac Technology, this is the same technology used in MOTU’s ultra-expensive 1248 model.
However, the really attractive part of using the MOTU 828es is the ability to remotely control the interface, using any device, via the web-app feature, which is ideal for recording/live situations where you want to see how something sounds from another physical location. As well as this, the MOTU 828es can be expanded, by adding up to 5 additional MOTU devices together, in case your home/professional studio needs to expand operations.
Additionally, the unit provides a talkback mic, A/B mix buttons, and even the ability to connect a footswitch to remotely control the talkback microphone, whilst you’re busy using your hands.
Overall, when taking into account all of the above, including the pros and (not so many) cons, it’s clear why we really like the MOTU 828es.
- Mac & PC, iOS*, Android* & Linux*
- Supports all major DAWs
- 28-in/32-out audio interface
- A very well-known and reputable brand
- Sturdy aluminum metal chassis
- Near to zero-latency (1.6ms according to their website)
- Check mixes instantly with A/B buttons
- Web app control from any device (iOS, Android, Linux, Mac, PC, etc)
- Ability to expand network and connect up to 5 MOTU interfaces
- Plenty of input/output types
- Talkback mic
- Warranty: 2-Year Manufacturers Warranty
- Thunderbolt 2 (Thunderbolt 3 compatible) & USB 2.0 connectivity (USB 3.0 compatible)
- 28-in / 32-out
- 2 XLR/TRS combination inputs
- 8 Line inputs
- 8 Line outputs
- MIDI input/output
- 2 x ADAT optical input/output
- S/PDIF input/output
- Powered by a power supply
- 24-bit/96kHz resolution
- 48v Phantom power
- Built-in talkback microphone (and remote use using a footswitch)
- A/B mix buttons
- Less than 1.6ms round-trip latency
- 2-year manufacturers warranty