Top 6 Best Overdrive Pedals Under $50 (July 2020)
The best overdrive pedals under $50 are considered the simplest of all guitar effects pedals. Almost everyone uses or has used one. Overdrive pedals occupy a very specific niche in the guitar universe. They’re often used to massively change the tone or alter the guitars sound in a dramatic manner. The best overdrive pedals under $50 are there to add flavour, colour and sustain to an existing sound. Something that was often achieved by using a driven tube guitar amp.
What Is An Overdrive Pedal?
An overdrive pedal is an effects pedal that can preserve the tone of your amplifier. It can push your amplifier further using a clean boost. It can push it so far, to the point of the tone breaking up. Or it can wrap your tone in sustain and harmonics.
The best overdrive pedals under $50 can give your a phenomenally dirty sound. The sound that most amplifiers just can’t give.
Overdrive pedals usually have 3 control knobs. Gain, volume & Equalization. Therefore a combination of these three controls will give you the sound you’ve been looking for.
What Is An Overdrive Pedal Used For?
The best overdrive pedals under $50 are usually used to stimulate the drive of an overdriven tube amp. They can also be used to boost your lead signal for those times you’re looking to stand out from the rest of the band. Or simply used to add an extra depth to your rhythm or bass licks.
Overdrive pedals can deliver vintage, warm overdrive sounds for blues and classic rock and roll guitarists like Stevie Ray Vaughan. So if blues is your sound, an overdrive pedal is important.
How Does An Overdrive Pedal Work?
The best overdrive pedals under $50 are designed to add more strength into your signal, overdriving it to the point of distortion. Additional gain is added to your signal to minimize signal clipping.
Transistors and filtering emulates the sound of a guitar amp when its volume is high. As a result you get distortion of the signal and pleasing harmonic side effects.
Clipping causes the amplifier to push out more power than originally intended. Which can therefore lead to irreparable damage to the speakers. The best overdrive pedals under $50 give you the effects and output without the damage to your amplifier. In other words, an overdrive pedal can protect your amplifier from unnecessary strain.
The Best Overdrive Pedals Under $50 On The Market
Finding the best overdrive pedal under $50 for you is a difficult task. But it’s a task that can make or break your perfect tone. Therefore an important one. We’ve found a selection of the best overdrive pedals under $50. Hopefully you’ll be able to use this list to narrow down and decide which one is right for you.
BOSS SD-1 Super Overdrive Pedal
- ✔ Capable Of Warm, Smooth Overdriven Sounds
- ✔ Compact Overdrive Pedal
- ✔ Unique Asymmetric Overdrive Circuitry
- ✔ BOSS 5 Year Warranty
- Compact overdrive pedal with warm, smooth overdriven sounds
- Tone control provides precise adjustment of drive sound
- Smooth overdriven sounds
- Natural tube-amp-style growl
- Reacts to your playing like a real overdriven amp would
- Tone, Level, and Drive controls
- Great fit for pedalboards
- BOSS 5-year warranty
The SD-1 Super OverDrive pedal produces the warm, natural distortion of an overdriven tube amplifier while maintaining the subtle nuances of a player’s picking technique. It features unique asymmetric overdrive circuitry for a classic, natural tube amp growl. This is one of BOSS’ more subtle and smooth overdrive pedals, perfect for blues and rock.
Boss pedals have a reputation for being built like tanks. You can be sure that however much you drop it, kick it, throw it and jump on it, it’ll still come back for more. These pedals constantly survive the rigours of rock ‘n’ roll touring, and that’s why they’re seen at the feet of top touring pros everywhere.
The BOSS SD-1 produces the warm, smooth distortion of an overdriven tube amplifier while maintaining the subtle nuances of your picking technique. Unique asymmetric overdrive circuitry delivers a genuine overdrive effect for a classic guitar sound. A Tone control is also provided for precise tonal adjustment.
A staple of the guitar effects pedal market BOSS have always been respected by guitar enthusiasts and professionals alike. The SD-1 has been around since 2006 and is still considered to be a top class representation of what an overdrive pedal should be like. If you don’t want to spend hours, day, weeks or even months searching through the countless alternatives. Consider the old favourite. Mr(or Mrs) Consistent. The Boss Super Overdrive SD-1.
Behringer TO800 Vintage Tube Overdrive Pedal
- ✔ Uses Old School Components For That Authentic Vintage Sound
- ✔ Features Drive, Tone & Level Control Knobs
- ✔ LED For Effect Status & Battery Check
- ✔ When Off Bypass Mode Gives You The Highest Signal Integrity Possible
- Get vintage overdrive, smooth sustain and screaming fat tone
- Uses original 4558 IC plus MA150 distortion diodes for authentic vintage sound
- Captures every nuance of your playing from smooth overdrive to screaming tube sounds
- Dedicated Drive, Tone and Level controls for awesome sound shaping
- Status LED for effect on/off and battery check
- Runs on 9 V battery or the Behringer PSU-SB DC power supply (not included)
- First-class electronic On/Off switch for noise-free operation
- Designed and engineered in Germany
The classic sound of blazing, overdriven vacuum tubes never goes out of style, and they’re at your command – when you have the Vintage Tube Overdrive TO800 in your effects chain.
In order to recreate the sound of real-tube crunch, we put the original 4558 op amps and legendary MA150 distortion diodes in the TO800, putting rock’s most powerful overdrive sounds at your disposal. The resulting output is extremely faithful to that of the vintage tone machines that made rock and roll history.
Dedicated Drive, Tone and Level controls let you shape the exact sound you want. The status LED tells you when this pedal is activated, and the top-quality on/off switch provides the highest signal integrity in bypass mode. You can power the TO800 via a 9 V battery or our PSU-SB DC power supply (not included).
Take charge of the sound that immortalized rock with the Vintage Tube Overdrive TO800! At last, beautiful tube tone is no longer just a pipe dream – and the TO800 is perfect for guitar, bass and even keyboards, and so very affordable. With its original 4558 IC plus MA150 distortion diodes and Drive, Tone, and Level controls for authentic vintage sound, the TO800 is sure to satisfy even the greatest stompbox connoisseur.
JOYO JF-02 Ultimate Drive Overdrive Pedal
- ✔ Recreates Late 70's Overdriven Tube Amp Sound
- ✔ Features Gain, Level & Tone Control Knobs
- ✔ Hi/Low Toggle Switch Allows Brighter Top End
- ✔ Range Of Sounds - From Punk To Country
- Ultimate drive(OCD) is a cross between a distortion and overdrive, different from the regular diode clipping circuits.
- High / Low tone switch.
- True bypass design to minimize tone loss.
- LED power indicator.
- Gain, Level and Tone controls.
- Powered by 6F22 9V battery( not included).
The JOYO Ultimate Drive pedal nails the timeless tones of the classic rock era. The “ocd pedal,” as it has become known and well reviewed. The pedal has two settings – high and low – which allow for plenty of flexibility. The tone it creates is soothing and sweet when just a little bit of gain is dialled in. And then you start to lay into the pedal (either with another pedal up front or by turning up the drive and volume) and the ultimate drive really begins to shine.
Designed with the goal of recreating the tone of a tube amplifier at volume, the ocd’s distortion is somewhat of a hybrid when it comes to solid state or vacuum tube tone. The real deal when it comes to aesthetics, sound and construction – JOYO’s ultimate drive pedal features a metal shell-casing, quality connectors and sturdy controls.
The JF-02 is true-bypass, has an led on/off indicator light, and a hi/low tone switch. This pedal will provide years of service and will turn heads as the midrange cuts through the crowd. JOYO’s ocd or ultimate drive distortion/overdrive pedal comes with a 9V battery, so its ready for action right out of the box.
Joyo have done an incredible job of producing a pedal that has a fantastic sound for such a low price. The Ultimate Overdrive sounds great at a ridiculously low price. This is your chance to get a great sounding overdrive/distortion pedal without spending a big chunk of cash. Check it out now!
JOYO JF-01 Vintage Overdrive Pedal
- ✔ Clean Boost Mode
- ✔ Replicates The Classic Tube Screamer
- ✔ Strong Alluminum Alloy Casing
- ✔ True Bypass To Minimize Loss Of Tone
- Weight (in g): 380.00
- Voltage: 9
- Polarity: –
- Circuit: Digital
- Main FX: Overdrive
- Manufacturer: Joyo
- Series: Vintage Series
- Size (Dimensions W x D X H in mm): 38 x 118 x 64
- Based on famous model? Ibanez Tube Screamer
The JOYO Vintage Overdrive pedal introduces warm overtones when used as a clean volume boost and when cranked to 11 the thing has the searing tone and warmth of a classic overdriven tube amp.
The pedal features three control functions: volume (output), drive (gain) and tone (treble boost or cut, focused around the 2-5k range). The circuit features true-bypass wiring, and the world-renowned jrc4588 chip provides a full sound.
From gobs of thick midrange to a modest top-end boost, this pedal is versatile, yet consistent between guitars. The vintage overdrive pedal is one of JOYO’s most popular pedals. The smooth tones and rich harmonics it creates have made it a favourite among blues, rock and fusion guitar players. Without sacrificing anything in terms of quality, this modern construction pedal accurately reproduces the original soul, bite and growl of the classic ‘screamer overdrive series, but at a fraction of the price. Whether you play classic rock, modern or hard rock, country, blues or rock-a-billy then this pedal will rapidly become a must have on your board.
Tom'sline Engineering ARG3S Vintage Overdrive Pedal
- ✔ Boost Mode Gives An Extra Boost For Soloing
- ✔ Warm, Broad Overdrive Sound
- ✔ A Michael Angelo Batio Signature Pedal
- ✔ Slim, Small Pedal - Will Fit On Almost Any Pedalboard
- 2 different modes – boost and normal.
- Volume, gain and tone control
- Patented stop bar design on the pedal face to avoid accident move of buttons when stamping on the pedal.
- True bypass.
- Power by 9V adapter, tip negative.
- Power consumption less than 20mA.
- Slip resistance bottom.
- Compliant with RoHS regulations, FCC, CE.
- Dimension: 92 * 38 * 32mm
- Weight: 133g
- Contents: velcro stickers, manual, MAB signature sticker, MAB signature overdrive pedal
Rounding out the Michael Angelo Batio signature line of essential stompboxes is the Vintage Overdrive, a versatile drive pedal with a built-in Boost mode. Dial in a rich, saturated vintage overdrive tone and use it to play rhythm under Normal mode then switch to Boost mode to make your solos pop. The Vintage Overdrive features Tomsline’s patented stop bar design to keep your foot from messing up the pedal’s settings when you stomp on it.
Kokko FOD3 Overdrive Pedal
- ✔ Features True Bypass
- ✔ LED Indicates Current Status
- ✔ Features Drive, Level & Tone Control Knobs
- ✔ Aluminum Alloy Chassis For Extra Durability
- Brand: KOKKO
- Model: FOD3
- Main Material: Aluminum alloy
- Input Impedance: 1M Ohms
- Output Impedance: 10K Ohms
- Power Supply: External AC adapter delivering 9V DC regulated minimum 300mA
- Item Size: 9.4 * 5.1 * 5.3cm / 3.7 * 2 * 2.1in
- Item Weight: 177g / 6.3oz
- Package Size: 10 * 7.5 * 6.2cm / 3.9 * 3 * 2.4in
- Package Weight: 214g / 7.5oz
Delivers that warm, natural tube overdrive sound. By rotating the knobs you can boost the guitar amp for colorful tone or overdrive itself for unique pedal sound. True bypass hardware switching. LED indicator shows the status of effect. Powered by AC adapter. Mini and portable, enclosure is aluminum alloy shell. Rubber pads on the backside is anti-skid, which enhances the stability and avoids friction between the effect pedal and the ground.
At this price, with these customer ratings, you really have to take a look.