Top 10 Best Overdrive Pedals Under $100 (October 2020)
The best overdrive pedals under $100 are considered the simplest of all guitar effects pedals. Almost everyone uses or has used one. Overdrive pedals occupy a very specific niche in the guitar universe. They’re often used to massively change the tone or alter the guitars sound in a dramatic manner. The best overdrive pedals under $100 are there to add flavour, colour and sustain to an existing sound. Something that was often achieved by using a driven tube guitar amp.
What Is An Overdrive Pedal?
An overdrive pedal is an effects pedal that can preserve the tone of your amplifier. It can push your amplifier further using a clean boost. It can push it so far, to the point of the tone breaking up. Or it can wrap your tone in sustain and harmonics.
The best overdrive pedals under $100 can give your a phenomenally dirty sound. The sound that most amplifiers just can’t give.
Overdrive pedals usually have 3 control knobs. Gain, volume & Equalization. Therefore a combination of these three controls will give you the sound you’ve been looking for.
What Is An Overdrive Pedal Used For?
The best overdrive pedals under $100 are usually used to stimulate the drive of an overdriven tube amp. They can also be used to boost your lead signal for those times you’re looking to stand out from the rest of the band. Or simply used to add an extra depth to your rhythm or bass licks.
Overdrive pedals can deliver vintage, warm overdrive sounds for blues and classic rock and roll guitarists like Stevie Ray Vaughan. So if blues is your sound, an overdrive pedal is important.
How Does An Overdrive Pedal Work?
The best overdrive pedals under $100 are designed to add more strength into your signal, overdriving it to the point of distortion. Additional gain is added to your signal to minimize signal clipping.
Transistors and filtering emulates the sound of a guitar amp when its volume is high. As a result you get distortion of the signal and pleasing harmonic side effects.
Clipping causes the amplifier to push out more power than originally intended. Which can therefore lead to irreparable damage to the speakers. The best overdrive pedals under $100 give you the effects and output without the damage to your amplifier. In other words, an overdrive pedal can protect your amplifier from unnecessary strain.
The Best Overdrive Pedals Under $100 On The Market
Finding the best overdrive pedal under $100 for you is a difficult task. But it’s a task that can make or break your perfect tone. Therefore an important one. We’ve found a selection of the best overdrive pedals under $100. Hopefully you’ll be able to use this list to narrow down and decide which one is right for you.
Ibanez TS9 Tube Screamer Overdrive Pedal
- ✔ Known As "The Best" By Many
- ✔ Made In The Same Factory, Using The Same Components
- ✔ Reissue Designed To Be Identical To The Original
- ✔ Features Drive, Tone & Level Control Knobs
- A reissue of the classic TS9 stompbox
- Controls for Drive, Tone, and Level
- Rectangular activation switch, just like the original
- Can be used as a smooth, creamy overdrive, or as a boost for those searing lead lines
- Brighter sounding than the TS808
- Rugged outer chassis with “Seasick Green” finish
The Ibanez TS9 Tube Screamer is a reissue that’s just like the original in so many ways. Same housing, same famous seasick-green paint, and the same crankin’ overdrive that made the original one of the all-time classic pedals. Guitar Player called it the best. Plug it in. Crank it up. You’ll hear what all the fuss is about. Tone, drive, and level controls.
f you’ve ever heard an electric guitar tone that you’ve loved, the chances are it was powered by a Tube Screamer. The Ibanez TS9 Tube Screamer Overdrive Pedal is a reissue of its legendary name-sake in every way: from the chassis and finish, to the circuitry and everything in between.
The Tube Screamer has long been the number 1 choice by people searching for the best, because it lets the guitar sing so well in its original voice. Every guitarist has somewhere they could use a TS9 so what are you waiting for!
Electro-Harmonix Nano Big Muff Pi Fuzz Pedal
- ✔ True Bypass Technology
- ✔ Compact Small Sized Chassis
- ✔ Crushing Distortion
- ✔ Singing Sustain With Attitude
- Controller for volume, sustain and tone
- Dimensions (WxDxH): 70 x 115 x 57 mm
- Power supply with 9 V battery or 9 V DC power supply
The Electroharmonix Big muff is a classic overdrive pedal that has captured the hearts and minds of many a guitarist. EHX took the Big Muff Pi circuit and simply shrunk it without changing its rich, creamy, violin-like sustain and sound. The Nano Big Muff Pi works and sounds identical in every way to our classic NYC Big Muff Pi.
The Electro-Harmonix Big Muff Pi has to be one of the all-time iconic pedals, the nano has the same DNA and hits the mark. This perfectly captures the classic sound of the original Big Muff Pi. It has the convenient red indicator light, small size and clean sounding connections to make it even better. If you want that classic Floyd/Gilmour sound, this is the best way to get it on your pedalboard. Get a piece of the pi for yourself!
MXR M77 Custom Badass Modified O.D (Overdrive) Pedal
- ✔ True Bypass
- ✔ Classic Circuit Design With Modifications
- ✔ Bump Switch - Low and Mid Range Boost
- ✔ 100Hz Cut And Boost Control
- 2 Status LED
- Sturdy metal housing
- Operation via 9V battery or Dunlop ECB-003 AC adapter (optional, not included)
- Made in USA
- Analogue distortion pedal
- Modified M78 pedal with additional 100 Hz cut and boost control
- Controls for output, tone and distortion
- “Bumb” switch for alternative voicing with bass and mid-boost
The Custom Badass Modified O.D. features a classic overdrive circuit with modern modifications for improved performance and versatility. Besides standard output and gain knobs, MXR’s Custom Badass Modified OD offers plenty of tonal tweaks.
For added flexibility, we’ve added a 100HZ cut and boost control that allows for a more focused EQ when cut, or a beefier tone when boosted. The Bump switch engages an alternate EQ voicing that boosts the lows and mids. Put it in front of the ’78 Custom Badass Distortion for a slew of amp-like gain structures that won’t mask your tone.
The Custom Badass Modified O.D. is brilliant for boosting solos with over the top saturation for fluid lead tones as well. It’s possible to pull out almost endless sustain, verging into singing feedback. The 100Hz control is fantastic for fattening up the tone if desired. The MXR Custom Badass Modified Overdrive works great with slightly overdriving a clean amp, or sending an overdriven amp over the edge! Check it out today!
Ibanez Tube Screamer Mini Overdrive Pedal
- ✔ Same Iconic Sound
- ✔ Same Iconic Look & Feel
- ✔ True Bypass Switching
- ✔ Features Tone, Level & Overdrive Control Knobs
- Reissue of the classic Tube Screamer overdrive pedal
- Compact design is easier than ever to fit on your pedalboard
- Growling overdrive with excellent touch sensitivity
- Gig-ready and built to last
- Wide range of tone from 3 simple controls
- Requires AC509 power supply (not included)
Ibanez knows your pedalboard real estate is valuable. Here’s a Tube Screamer made to help you manage that hallowed ground. Same legendary pedal. Same legendary tone. The often-imitated Tube Screamer sound is back in a compact format with the Ibanez Tube Screamer Mini. One of the most acclaimed overdrive pedals ever, the Tube Screamer is known for its rich midrange growl and dynamic touch sensitivity. Guitarists at Sweetwater are as picky about overdrive as anyone, and we’re pleased to confirm that the Tube Screamer Mini has the sonic tenacity that made the original a must-have in countless guitar rigs. No matter how packed your pedalboard is, we’re sure you can find room for the Ibanez Tube Screamer Mini.
EarthQuaker Devices Plumes Overdrive Pedal
- ✔ 3 Clipping Voices
- ✔ All Analog Approach To A Classic Tube-Live Overdrive Circuit
- ✔ True Bypass - No Loss Of Tone
- ✔ Beautifully Designed Pedal
- True bypass
- Level, tone and gain controls
- 3-Way toggle switch for the three clipping modes (Symmetrical LED / asymmetrical silicon / No Diode OpAmp Drive)
- Bypass footswitch
- Status LED
- Metal housing
- 6.3 mm Mono jack input / output
- Power supply via optional 9 V DC power supply (not included in delivery) 2.1 x 5.5 mm coaxial connector, polarity (-) inside
- Current consumption: 25 mA
- Dimensions (L x W x H): 117 x 64 x 57 mm
- Weight: 396 g
The Plumes Small Signal Shredder from EarthQuaker Devices is the latest stomp box inspired by Screamer-style overdrives. An overdrive based around that classically overdone tube-like circuit you all know, and amps crave. While this particular circuit has been done to death, we here at EarthQuaker Devices brand of special effects pedals think the Plumes offers an original take on the old, tired dead horse everyone loves to beat on.
Overall, the EarthQuaker Plumes provides outstanding dynamic, organic and natural-sounding overdrive tones that will make your guitar scream. Check it out today!
NUX Drive Core Deluxe Overdrive Pedal
- ✔ True Bypass
- ✔ Up To 10dB Of Clean Boost
- ✔ Boost, Mix & Drive Toggle Switch
- ✔ Features Clean Boost, Drive, Tone & Level Control Knobs
- Classic Texas overdrive tone for Rock and Blues
- Clean boost + overdrive
- Bass boost
- True Bypass
- Besides theIt has a fat overdrive tone and a clean boost that adds just a little brightness.
- USB for firmware update
- Power: 9V (9V battery) AC adaptor (negative tip)
- Dimensions 122(L) x 72(W) x 47(H)mm
- Weight 270g
- Nominal Input Level: -20dBu (GUITAR) +3dBu (MAX)
Blues to the Core Drive Core Deluxe is the best fully functioned drive pedal which you can boost your clean tone without any crack sounds in clean mode or if you want to use fat blues sound you can add extra bass to drive mode for warmer sounds.
Mix mode allows you to add some drive attacks while you play clean and you can make good combinations with overdrive and clean. There are 3 different modes improved with analog circuits that allows making some good analog sound combinations.
Caline CP-75 Overdrive Pedal
- ✔ Features True Bypass
- ✔ 3 Way Toggle Switch - Fat, Normal Or Lard
- ✔ Strong Aluminum Alloy Case
- ✔ Inspired By The TS808 Tube Screamer
- LED Light: LED indicator shows the working state.
- Gain: Adjust the overdrive gain.
- Tone: Adjusts treble.
- Level: Adjusts the volume.
- True Bypass: True bypass for zero tone coloration.
- The addition of a 3-way selector gives an extra enhancement to the classic drive sound with Fat, Normal and super settings.
- Material: Aluminum Alloy
- Power Supply: DC 9V center negative
- Current consumption: 30mA
- Product Dimensions: 11.2×6.4×3.4cm/4.4(L)*2.5(W)*1.3(H) in
- Item Weight: 0.23kg/8.1oz
CP-75 Overdrive is inspired by the legendary TS808 tube screamer, popular with blues rock and metal guitarist the world over. This is a classic sounding overdrive with a wide mixture of clean to soft warm overdrive tones while also producing a soft distortion without losing the fullness in of your tone.
CP-75 “Emerald Knight” Overdrive pedal.This pedal has an abundant and great sound. Easy to use, you can make your own music tones with a simple operation. With Aluminum Alloy Housing, good quality and it looks good too.
NUX Horseman Overdrive Pedal
- ✔ Gold & Silver Modes - Two Independent Pedal Sounds
- ✔ Features Gain, Treble & Output Control Knobs
- ✔ Pedal Has True Bypass & Buffer Bypass Features
- ✔ Drop The Gain To Use The Horseman As A Clean Boost Pedal
- Power requirement: 9V negative tip
- Gold and Silver modes: 2 independent pedal sound in one mini stomp box
- Controls: Gain, Treble and Output
- Voltage Converter
- True bypass / buffer bypass
NUX Horseman pays homage to the legendary Centaur pedal. There are 3 dials for primary settings and 2 modes: Gold and Silver, and it offers massive headway usually requiring an 18v input. Gold Mode mimics its classic predecessor; the transparent Gold Centaur overdrive pedal and the Silver Mode is a powered-up version with an extended gain range (Silver Centaur).
The sound is based on the Centaur’s voltage converter circuit. But the Horseman’s characteristic design is crafted with a built-in OP-AMP voltage-converter driving the 18V to OP-AMP. Higher voltage-supply orders-up more harmonics, and convincingly reproduces the sound of this unique pedal.
Clean Boost Another “classic” way to use the NUX Horseman. Very useful when used in combination with the amplifiers drive channel (or any other drive pedal). And, depending on the Gain – Output adjustment, it lets the Horseman be used as a clean boost. Dial-up a low-gain with a high output setting, and it adds mostly volume and minimal color to your sound.
Additionally, the controls can be set to distort the sound signal in the pedal, where two Schottky diodes can perform a waveform clipping. ( The germanium diodes are discontinued, we especially select the Schottky diodes to replicate the waveform clipping ) The “gain” knob is a double potentiometer (a “dual-ganged gain pot”), which controls bass and middle frequencies. Treble and volume are each controlled with separate knobs.
NUX Horseman has an optional bypass mode. You can use the pedal in True Bypass mode to keep your signal untouched when the pedal is OFF in the chain. We highly recommend to select buffer bypass mode if you have more than 4 pedals connected together; switch to Buffer Bypass mode and there will be no signal loss in your pedal chain!
A pedal full of character. Recommended for those looking for a small sized pedal with a history to it’s design and creation. The True/Buffer bypass is a great extra and will allow you to use this is many different areas of your pedalboard.
Nobels ODR-Mini Natural Overdrive Pedal
- ✔ Slimline Overdrive Pedal
- ✔ Glow In The Dark Knobs
- ✔ Features Drive, Level & Spectrum Control Knobs
- ✔ Double As A Boost Pedal
- The same “Natural Overdrive” DNA as the Nobels ODR-1, but with a slightly firmer sound
- Lightweight and compact
- True bypass
- “Glow in the dark” buttons
- Controls: Drive, Level, Spectrum
- LED: Effect On
- Foot switch: Effect bypass
- Connectors: Input (6.3 mm jack)
- Output (6.3 mm jack)
- Mains adapter connection (hollow plug socket 5.5 x 2.1 mm, negative pole inside)
- Power supply with a 9-18 V DC power adapter
- Dimensions (W x D x H): 41 x 92 x 47 mm
At first glance, the control layout looks pretty standard, with Volume, Drive and Spectrum (Tone), but the way Spectrum affects the tone is a little different from the norm. The drive range of this pedal is impressively wide, going from virtually clean to a classic rock‑style overdrive. Using the Spectrum control in the second half of its clockwise travel delivers the most overdrive, as the EQ boost comes pre the drive circuit.
While I have to say that this isn’t one of those pedals that wows you when you first plug-in, after using it for a while its versatility really does start to shine through. If you like your drive on the more subtle side, this is definitely one to check out.
Behringer TO800 Vintage Tube Overdrive Pedal
- ✔ Uses Old School Components For That Authentic Vintage Sound
- ✔ Features Drive, Tone & Level Control Knobs
- ✔ LED For Effect Status & Battery Check
- ✔ When Off Bypass Mode Gives You The Highest Signal Integrity Possible
- Get vintage overdrive, smooth sustain and screaming fat tone
- Uses original 4558 IC plus MA150 distortion diodes for authentic vintage sound
- Captures every nuance of your playing from smooth overdrive to screaming tube sounds
- Dedicated Drive, Tone and Level controls for awesome sound shaping
- Status LED for effect on/off and battery check
- Runs on 9 V battery or the Behringer PSU-SB DC power supply (not included)
- First-class electronic On/Off switch for noise-free operation
- Designed and engineered in Germany
The classic sound of blazing, overdriven vacuum tubes never goes out of style, and they’re at your command – when you have the Vintage Tube Overdrive TO800 in your effects chain.
In order to recreate the sound of real-tube crunch, we put the original 4558 op amps and legendary MA150 distortion diodes in the TO800, putting rock’s most powerful overdrive sounds at your disposal. The resulting output is extremely faithful to that of the vintage tone machines that made rock and roll history.
Dedicated Drive, Tone and Level controls let you shape the exact sound you want. The status LED tells you when this pedal is activated, and the top-quality on/off switch provides the highest signal integrity in bypass mode. You can power the TO800 via a 9 V battery or our PSU-SB DC power supply (not included).
Take charge of the sound that immortalized rock with the Vintage Tube Overdrive TO800! At last, beautiful tube tone is no longer just a pipe dream – and the TO800 is perfect for guitar, bass and even keyboards, and so very affordable. With its original 4558 IC plus MA150 distortion diodes and Drive, Tone, and Level controls for authentic vintage sound, the TO800 is sure to satisfy even the greatest stompbox connoisseur.
Best Overdrive Pedals Under $50The best overdrive pedals under $50 are considered the simplest of all guitar effects pedals. Almost everyone uses or has us...
Best Overdrive Pedals On The MarketThe best overdrive pedals are considered the simplest of all guitar effects pedals. Almost everyone uses or has used one. Ov...
Best Mini Overdrive Pedals On The MarketThe best mini overdrive pedals are considered the simplest of all guitar effects pedals. Almost everyone uses or has used on...
- Ibanez TS9 Tube Screamer Overdrive Pedal
- Electro-Harmonix Nano Big Muff Pi Fuzz Pedal
- MXR M77 Custom Badass Modified O.D (Overdrive) Pedal
- Ibanez Tube Screamer Mini Overdrive Pedal
- EarthQuaker Devices Plumes Overdrive Pedal
- Nux Drive Core Deluxe Overdrive Pedal
- Caline CP-75 Overdrive Pedal
- NUX Horseman Overdrive Pedal
- Nobels ODR-Mini Natural Overdrive Pedal
- Behringer TO800 Vintage Tube Overdrive Pedal