Catalinbread Octapussy Octave & Fuzz Pedal (January 2021)
Catalinbread Octapussy Octave & Fuzz Pedal
- ✔ Features Attn(Attenuate), Gain & Body Control Knobs
- ✔ Based On An Old Classic Circuit
- ✔ Durable Metal Chassis
- ✔ Beautiful Pedal Design
- Since Octapussy is expressly designed to be interactive with your guitar’s controls, it should best be placed as early in the signal chain as possible, preferably right after your guitar and definitely not after any buffered pedal.
- Fuzz pedals are great stacked after the Octapussy. The Octapussy will match up great with the fuzz and cut right through it.
- Amp-style overdrives should definitely be placed after the Octapussy. The Octapussy into the DLS MkII is an amazing combination.
- Octapussy can run on 9volts DC all the way up to 18volts DC.
- Play sweet, breathy, delicate octave-up melodies up high on the neck.
- Play epic soaring leads that are full sounding with upper harmonics that bloom and bloom as you hold that bend.
- Get tough sounding almost ring modulated double-stops that growl when you sustain it.
- Obtain sounds that evoke Caribbean steel drums.
- Riff out with a textured, harmonically rich fuzz tone that can achieve cello/sax-like qualities.
- Achieve mysterious sounding droning melodies.
The Octapussy is essentially, an octave-up fuzz in the tradition of the Octavia. But it’s not a clone of that circuit! Nope, it’s an original circuit utilizing 3 silicon transistors and two diodes that takes the tradition to the next level! The preamp section is custom voiced to give you an extremely dynamic playing response. You’ll get those famous high-octave lead tones up high on the guitar neck but you’ll also get an amazing array of fuzz tones anywhere else on the neck – just by how you play it and how your guitar’s volume, tone, and pickup selector is set.
The more you play the Octapussy, the more sounds you’ll find in it!
- Gain – This control increases the gain for more fuzz, harmonics, and upper-midrange frequency boost. it is voiced to be usable throughout its range from minimum all the way to maximum.
- Attenuate – This control should normally be set full counter-clockwise. For best tone and response, only attenuate where you’ve got the Gain and Body knobs really cranking and need to reduce the output some.
- Body – This control increases the bass response or ‘thump’ frequencies. like the Gain knob, it also increases output and harmonic content. Technically, it is a negative-feedback loop with variable frequency response. But let’s not dwell on technicals. ..this is another more knob!
The Catalinbread Octapussy modern octave fuzz pedal is one of the most dynamic, responsive octave up fuzz we’ve seen. It has great note bloom and sustain. The Octapussy doesn’t choke your notes off like some budget octave fuzz pedals. Depending upon where the knobs are set on both the pedal as well as the volume knob and pickup selection on your guitar this one does everything you want. From octavia styled leads to think power chord riffs. We can’t recommend this octave fuzz pedal enough!