Top 6 Best Octave Pedals Under $100 (September 2020)
In order to find the best octave pedals under $100 we first need to understand the octave effect. Since the era of rock and roll, guitarists have tried to magnify their sound for the biggest effect. Octave pedals give guitarists and bassists a chance to push up that ‘sound scale’ a few more notches.
Working With The Octave Effect Pedal
Octave pedals work best with strong, clean tones. This is the ideal point from which they should pitch shift, whether it’s up or down. The best octave pedals under $100 perform well at the front of a pedal chain. The closer they are to the guitar the more accurate their note tracking capabilities will be.
What Type Of Octave Pedals Under $100 Are The Best?
There are several types of octave effects to choose from, pure octave pedals, bass octave pedals, sub octave pedals and octave up expression pedal models with true bypass are some popular types. Monophonic octave pedals are often used by bass guitar players. Octave pedals under $100 generally increase or decrease your tones octave by one or two octaves.
Polyphonic Octave Pedal
A polyphonic octave pedal is unique in that it is capable of tracking guitar chords as well as single notes. The algorithms used in these modern octave pedals under $100 have almost eliminated the latency older analog pedals can suffer from.
Monophonic Octave Pedal
Monophonic octave pedals are a fan favourite with bassists. This is because they are perfect for recreating that ‘phat’ tone produced by synth basses.
Why Choose An Octave Pedal Under $100?
From guitar to bass pedal models, the best octave pedals under $100 exist to do a very specific job. In order for an octave pedal under $100 to reach its true potential the guitarist has to understand that many other aspects have to be spot on.
Octave pedals under $100 aren’t the most popular modulation pedal on the market for sure. But they do provide the ability to manipulate your signal subtly or into something entirely different.
Although by no means essential, an octave pedal under $100 certainly provides a fun and interesting way to change your sound, increase your musical range and try new things.
Enjoy our collection of the best octave pedals under $100. Hopefully you’ll find the one that’s right for you.
Boss OC-3 Super Octave Pedal
- ✔ First Compact Pedal With True Polyphonic Octave Effects
- ✔ Drive Mode - Adds Distortion To Octave Notes
- ✔ Separate Inputs For Both Guitar & Bass
- ✔ BOSS 5 Year Warranty
- World’s first compact pedal with true Polyphonic Octave effects
- New Drive mode adds distortion to octave notes for a fatter, more aggressive tone
- Includes the original OC-2 mode, capable of producing notes one and two octaves down
- Poly Octave effect adjustable to play within a specific note range
- Bass input for adapting octave sound to bass guitars
- BOSS five-year limited warranty
The OC-3 picks up where the best-selling OC-2 left off, giving guitarists two brand new octave effects. Using the Polyphonic Octave mode, octaves can now be added when playing chords-a first in a compact pedal. More aggressive sounds can be had using the new Drive mode, which adds a touch of distortion to the octave sounds.
The OC-3 isn’t just for guitar, it’s also for bass. By connecting a bass guitar to the dedicated Bass input, the OC-3 automatically optimizes itself to suit the range of a bass guitar. Now bass players can upgrade to the ultra-stable octave sounds of the OC-3.
Don’t worry. BOSS knows how much guitarists depend on the original OC-2 sound. That’s why the OC-3 includes that classic “dual octave” effect, but with even better stability. This gives you the ability to blend up to three individual sounds: the original note, a note one octave below and one that’s two octaves below.
Overall the OC-2 has a classic octave tone and the new poly setting allows for more subtle effects. It has a great sound, a truly valuable and musical additional to the pedal board. You should check it out!
TC Electronic Sub 'N' Up Mini Octaver Octave Pedal
- ✔ Features Dry, Sub & Up Control Knobs
- ✔ True Bypass Switching
- ✔ Durable Metal Chassis
- ✔ Small Pedal - Easy To Fit On Your Pedalboard
- Hugely popular octave pedal in mini version offers flawless polyphonic tracking and built-in TonePrint technology
- Advanced polyphonic octave engine gives you lightning-fast note tracking and impeccable octave tones
- Cool monophonic octaver replicates that classic old-school octave pedal flavor
- Extra-small enclosure easily fits on any pedal board
- Simple, easy-to-use controls let you focus on playing
- High-quality components to give you flawless octave tones in a pedal format
- TonePrint-enabled to let you beam cool signature tones into your pedal with the free TonePrint App
- Dedicated bass TonePrints swap upper octave for a P.A.-rattling, Richter-scale-breaking 2 octaves down
- Design your own customized effects from scratch with free TonePrint Editor for PC, Mac and iPad
SUB ’N’ UP MINI OCTAVER features the same state-of-the-art octave-engine found in it’s raved-about bigger brother for awesome octave sounds, including your choice of the amazing SUB ’N’ UP TonePrint octave tones. Add to this pitch perfect accuracy, flawless polyphonic tracking, an authentic old-school monophonic algorithm – and you’ve got the impossibly small, penultimate octaver for your crowded pedal board.
Don’t let its diminutive size fool you. SUB ’N’ UP MINI OCTAVER’s advanced polyphonic pitch technology gives you lightning-fast note tracking and glitch-free octaving even when playing complex chords. And with TC’s proprietary TonePrint technology, SUB ’N’ UP MINI OCTAVER is capable of delivering everything from shimmery octave-up tones for swells, a sweet 12-string ring or earthquake-inducing subsonic riffs.
And speaking of submerging yourself in the Subsonic Sea… Even though the beloved two-octaves down knob appears to be missing from SUB ’N’ UP MINI OCTAVER, bass players need not panic. If creating the subsonic mayhem that can only be measured on the Richter Scale is what you live by, we’ve designed loads of bass-dedicated TonePrints that substitute the octave up knob for the bass-approved Sub2 control.
Sometimes nothing can beat the quirky imperfections of vintage gear. That’s why we designed a monophonic octave algorithm that painstakingly recreates every idiosyncratic flaw of a vintage analog octaver. SUB ’N’ UP MINI OCTAVER is perfect for creating faux bass-lines with a guitar, or will you dare to plug in a bass – and level the whole house?
Download the free TonePrint app for Android and iPhone, choose the TonePrint you want to hear and beam it instantly from your phone through your guitar’s pickup into your TonePrint pedal. No cables needed!
We really like this pedal. The TC Electronic Sub ‘N’ Up Mini Octaver allows an electric guitar to effectively and accurately replicate a bass guitar. The pedal tracks notes very well and does not get lost when whole chords are played either. Make sure you’re careful with the volume level settings. Caution need to be exercised when using this pedal or you could quite easily blow your speakers if you’re not careful. Another easy recommendation from us.
JOYO R-13 XVI Octave Pedal
- ✔ Feature Rich Mod Modulation Effects
- ✔ True Bypass Switching
- ✔ Features Sub, Upper, Dry & Mod Control Knobs
- ✔ Durable Metal Housing
- Independent Octave-Up and Octave-Down & Modulation
- On / Off switch with LED display
- Ambient LED lighting with 3 modes
- Input and output socket
- Power supply via 9 V DC power supply
- Current consumption: 90 mA
- Pedal size including potis: 109 x 67 x 48 mm
- Weight: 248 g
Of all the wonderful developments in JOYO Technology the XV1 Polyphonic Octave guitar effect pedal is one of the most exciting.
Everyone loves a good octave, until now we have had our OCHO monophonic pedal which allowed 2 octaves down, both add some meat to any solo, or to make a big riff sound even bigger. However, while often sounding awesome in the right context, the monophonic analog octave effects are only good for single monophonic notes.
Sometimes something more than the monophonic octave is needed, this is where the JOYO XV1 polyphonic pedal comes into full force, the pitch and modulated effect will allow anything from dry pitch shifting, sub down or up high and introducing the MODulation control to create some impressive polyphonic organ sounds.
The pedals Mod control is the thing you twiddle to get the big room filling organ tones, mixing the octave up and down to create some really fat sounding choir effect. Add a little tremolo, delay or reverb and you have a cool fake organ that will sound like a sweeping synth. Playing around with this pedal will take your guitar from its clean tone to another dimension, people will wonder where the synth is hidden.
The amount of functionality in this new pedal from JOYO is guaranteed to fatten up your tone, add some rich texture and introduce some polyphonic goodness.
The JOYO XVI polyphonic guitar effect pedal is part of the R Series of effects. The Revolution series pedals all feature metal housed stompbox. The R Series are the 4th generation and all feature some very cool ambient LED lighting.
The lights can be toggled from a switch on the rear of the pedal.3 modes of lighting are available to adjust when the ambient lighting comes on.
- ‘Sync’ to the foot switch – The LED ambient lighting on the front and rear of the pedal with shine bright when the foot switch is pressed, also illuminating the LED effect indicator on the top of the pedal.
- ‘Always’ – The lights are always on, but the pedal is only activated when you press the foot switch and the LED effect indicator comes on.
- ‘Off’ – Okay, so Tron may not be your favourite and you want to stick to something a little less futuristic. The lights are off, the LED effect indicator comes on when you stomp on it and activate the pedal.
Behringer UO300 Ultra Octaver Pedal
- ✔ High Quality Component - Made To Compete With Market Leaders
- ✔ Flexible 3 Mode Range Switch
- ✔ Designed & Engineered In Germany
- ✔ Electronic On/Off Switch For Highest Signal Integrity In Bypass Mode
- Ultra octaver
- Range: High / Mid / Lo switchable
- Regulator: Direct, Oct1, Oct2
- Red status LED
- Runs on 9 V battery or power supply
It is widely known that there is great strength in numbers. The ULTRA OCTAVER UO300 underpins your sound with added muscle, generating notes one and two octaves below what you play. The result is powerful, with the deep, rich impact that is only possible when guitar and bass lines are joined at the hip. Wanna play bass lines with your guitar? Wanna play synth-like lines with the addition of some fuzz with your guitar or bass? The stunning UO300 will make your tonal dreams come to life.
First, use the dedicated Range control to specify whether you want to add beef to the high, middle or low frequencies, then dial in the amount of your original sound with the Direct knob. Lastly, turn up the OCT 1 and OCT 2 controls to add the lower octaves. Now bask in the adoration of your fans.
The UO300 isn’t just great for fattening up guitar riffs – it can add incredible beef to keyboards and bass, too! The status LED tells you when the UO300 stomp box is working its magic, and the on/off switch maintains superior signal integrity in bypass mode. You can power the UO300 with either a 9 V battery or the PSU-SB DC power supply (not included).
Help stomp out skinny tone. Get an ULTRA OCTAVER UO300 and go really deep – and you won’t need deep pockets, thanks to its very affordable price. Choose from on octave down, or one octave down plus an additional octave down.
Overall the Behringer UO300 Ultra Octaver guitar effects pedal performs well and does exactly what it says on the box. It might not be up to the mark needed to compete with pedals that are 6 times more expensive than it but honestly that’s not a fair thing to hold against it. It’s a solid budget pedal and a great introduction into octave pedals.
JOYO JF-12 Voodoo Octava Fuzz/Octave Pedal
- ✔ Fuzz, Tone & Volume Control Knobs
- ✔ Normal & Mid Cut Toggle Switch
- ✔ True Bypass Foot Switch - Maintains Tone Quality When Disengaged
- ✔ Octave Up Foot Switch - Add On Top Of The Fuzz
- Features both fuzz and octave guitar effects in one shell
- True bypass wiring, quality internal components, 1/4-inch jacks and connectors
- Achieve the mind-altering sounds famous of analog-based octave shift pedals
The fuzz on the ultimate octave is a brilliantly thick snarling beast. At the lowest possible settings you can coax a more ‘vintage’ fuzz sound from this pedal but it really starts to shine when you crank the fuzz up and ‘Plug In Baby’. With buckets of sustain your lead lines will sound massive and you’ll be able to hold those notes all night. Add the brilliant Octave Up effect to the Fuzz and you’re in ‘White Stripes’ territory. The Octave Up adds a whole new dimension to your riffs making them really pop and stand out.
The other features of this pedal aid and abet when it comes to reserving a permanent place in the pedal chain. The mid cut allows you to scoop out some of the body, which works nicely when thrashing out some crunchy power chords, as does the tone knob, which will be the reins on your dark, nay, bright horse – the highest notes with the octave pedal on – that sounds like tin cans falling from the sky and breaking into glass figurines on marble flooring.
Best part is there’s no clean up. The JF-12 allows rock, blues, jazz, funk, fusion and even country guitar players to access creative sounds from an affordable, spicy pedal.
Donner Digital Harmonic Square Octave Pedal
- ✔ True Bypass Switching
- ✔ Features Wet, Dry & Level Controls Knobs
- ✔ Octave Mode Toggle - Sharp/Detune/Flat Options
- ✔ Durable Mini Sized Aluminum Pedal Chassis
- Power Supply：DC 9V(Negative in the center).
- Toggle switch: Select between different modes.
- WET Knob：Control the harmonic signal level.
- DRY Knob：Control the dry signal level.
- Modes Knob：For selecting the types of effects.
- Input & Output Jack：1/4’’ mono audio jack.
- LED Light：LED indicator shows the working state.
- Full metal shell：Aluminum-alloy classic, stable and strong.
- True Bypass：True bypass for zero tone coloration.
This is a wonderful pedal. Digital circuit design, and variety of octave effect adds musical color to you tone. 7 different modes: ±2 semitones, ±3 semitones, ±4 semitones, ±5 semitones, ±7 semitones, ±12 semitones, ±24 semitones, LED indicator shows the working state. There are two function knobs, namely WET and DRY. 3 way toggle switch select between different modes. 7-Mode octave effects you can choose. Control two function knobs and choose different model you want to made you own music tone. Enjoy your own fun and colorful life.
As you can see, Harmonic Square have a novel design logo, classic mini size, convenient and durable. True bypass switch lets your instrument’s signal pass through a non-electronic bypass line when the effect is disengaged, feeding your amp with direct, unaltered signal from your instrument
The pedal can change the pitch of a note by 2, 3, 4, 5, 7, 12 or 24 half-steps up or down. It can also detune by increments of partial steps. Separate pots allow blending of the processed (wet) and unprocessed (dry) signals. The build quality is excellent, made of metal with a nice finish. The different sounds the pedal is capable of achieving are hugely impressive. It really does sound like an organ at times.
Overall it’s another solid and great value pedal from Donner. Check it out for yourself!